73 Everyone should have a hobby or two. It builds not only skills but confidence




    I swear I popped out of my mom doing some type of hobby. Or maybe it was just the time period I was born into, the 50's. We didn't own a T.V. until I was in third grade and even then I think there were only three channels.  I enjoyed, drawing, and reading, lots of Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys mysteries. When I was 13, I learned to crochet from my mother which I have returned to doing these past ten years on a regular basis.  I also enjoy singing and playing the piano, gardening, hiking, and traveling.  And after hurting my back a few times over 15 years ago, I  work out four times a week and love it.  I also used to make all my cards, but I've drifted away from that hobby, but I play Eucher once a month, which is a card game with a group of friends since our kids were in junior high.
   And believe it or not, one hobby which I used to do for fun, but now that I'm retired, I consider my profession, a writer. I've actually been paid once for a magazine article in "Angels on earth" and have had one article placed in the "Topanga Messenger," a local newspaper. Cool, huh? So hobbies sometimes can turn into a profession.
   I've met a few teachers who are scared to retire because they have nothing to do except watch sports on T.V. or watch their grandkids. I told them to pick up a hobby, and they said, "I'm too old for that."
   My comment, "You're never too old." Okay, maybe bunjie jumping....
   Having a hobby teaches many life skills such as patience, perseverance and it reduces stress. But it also makes you more interesting, so it will help your social life.And learning a new one develops ne neurons in the brain.
   For a couple of years, I taught crafts in the high school.  Since there weren’t many art classes at the time, the kids devoured the different lessons.  I actually taught crochet, and the kids made their own scarfs. The boys at first didn’t like it one single bit. They said, "This is for girls."  But I informed them that actor Russell Crowe knits, Randy Grossman tight end for Pittsburgh Steelers and Rosey Grier, and musician Ringo Star, actors David Arquette, Ryan Reynolds and Scott Baio all knit, crochet and do needlepoint.
     “Who’s Rosie Greer?” Jose chuckled at the name.
     “He’s an actor, singer, Protestant minister, and former professional American football player.”
His eyes enlarged.
   “But why would he do that? My grandma knits.” another macho student asked.
   “Because it makes you relax,” I said. “Did you know Rosey Grier even wrote a book on needlepoint for men?”  Their eyebrows raised in surprise and a few of the girls giggled. Well, that piece of information changed their minds. They stopped griping and asked me or some of the girls for help on their scarf. 
   My students were so proud of themselves when they finished their scarfs. Some of them gave their scarf to their girlfriend or boyfriend, and others wore them during the fall and winter.
   Get your kids or even yourself involved in a hobby. There are many health benefits to having one, and sometimes it gets you out of the house, you meet people. I saw my students gain confidence in a skill they never thought they were capable of doing.  Many hobbies require creativity, and this can sometimes transfer over to a job. It also builds confidence once you get the hang of it. Remember, learning new things keeps our brain flexible and young. If you or your child pick a challenging hobby, it will ready him or you for learning new things on a job.
   When you’re doing something you enjoy, you let go of the worry and relax. This helps to rejuvenate the mind.  Hobbies that involve physical activity creates chemical changes in the body which helps reduce stress. But even if your hobby does not require physical activity, you can still benefit.
    Sometimes your hobby might require you or your children to go outside the house and meet new people. Maybe you’re interested in playing Poker, or soccer or being involved with the local theater company. Some of my friends are people I have met through my hobbies, and it's an easy way to make new friends when you travel or move to a new area.    
   Having hobbies teaches you and your children to be confident, flexible and creative.




chess              Image result for free picture of knittingknitting
Tips on helping your child or yourself select a hobby and please don’t let him or her only choose computer games:
1. Think about the amount of time you’re willing to spend on the hobby. If it’s a sport and your child is already involved in two of them, then that’s enough. Maybe, he can paint and assemble model airplanes.
2. Don’t pick something so challenging that it’s going to be so frustrating to learn it, or where it takes years to perfect it. You’ll go crazy, or your child will drive you insane with his or her whining.
3.  Don’t pick a hobby that is so stressful that you are pulling your hair out unless you are doing something else which is relaxing.
4.  Pick a hobby that you have a natural ability with already. In other words, don’t choose surfing if you’re paranoid about water.
5.  Don’t forget you also have to think about your level of fitness and your finances.  Some sports are extremely expensive.


Here are some excellent links with tons of ideas for hobbies.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for leaving a comment.